Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Teach your children well

Since it is tax season I am working in hubby's office as support staff. That means on Tues nights big brother Mattie takes Serenity to dance class(which he loves) Well tonight I got home to find Serenity eating Mickey D's french fries. Other big brother had given them to her because he didn't want them and I think because she really did not want to go to dance and he was feeling just a little sorry for her.
I didn't have the heart to tell them that those yummy fries are so yummy because they are made with sugar. Yep after the taters are cut the take a swim in a sugar water solution before freezing.
So now I sit here thinking, "What have I taught them?" Did I teach them to use food as reward or to sooth unhappy feelings? As someone who 'eats her emotions', I know I did. I have found myself turning to Ginger Snaps to placate my stress at the testing and changes we are making. Doing all this during tax season just adds stress fuel to the fire.
So now I have guilt....Maybe there are some french fries left.

1 comment:

Marcy said...

Oh, Jamie! I really admire you for making these changes for Serenity. I eat my emotions too and was frequently rewarded and soothed with food growing up. You are doing the right thing for her, even if it's hard. Keep the faith! Hugs to you!