Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hide and Seek.

What a weekend. I had no idea how far and wide sugar/dairy stretched. I guess if I had really thought about it I would have but jumping jackrabbits, its everywhere!
Remember that almond milk I felt pretty good about? Well while perusing my local food mart I saw there was an unsweetened variety. ?????? When I check the label there it was evaporated cane syrup. Ketchup on fries, yep, the dreaded High Fructose Corn Syrup. I knew that one just forgot. Oh and forget about bread, unless you want to spend $7 a loaf. I hope she is ok with all fruit spread on rice cakes.
Tonight was our Chinese school's Chinese New Year party. Fortunately the Chinese have never incorporated a lot of dairy into their cuisine. And we just steered clear of anything really saucy because of sugars. She could still enjoy her two favorites, wonton soup and lo mein and she had cantalope for dessert. So she was more than happy. The night ended with a really cool fireworks display. I love Chinese New Year!
So far this week I have two solid meals planned. Roast with veggies in the slow cooker and a spicy hamburger and brown rice concoction(the recipe is on the back of the brown rice). I am open to anymore suggestions/recipes.
We are still feeling our way through this. So far Serenity has been great about willingly avoiding what she knows has dairy/sugar in it. She even turned down a Ho-Ho tonight. What a girl!

No comments: