Sunday, March 28, 2010

50 way.....NOT

So much has happened since I last posted. Serenity is gaining more awareness about foods but still cannot resist somethings.
Case in point- Last week she had a birthday party she got to attend. And while there may be 50 ways to leave a lover, there is no way to tell a 6 year old she cannot have birthday cake at a party. So before the party I took her out for a late breakfast and filled her up with scrambled eggs, fruit, potatoes, whole wheat toast with sugar free jam and tea. Hopefully leaving little room for temptation. When she got to the party she had a fabulous time. She got to bowl for the first time and play with her school friends. When food time came she passed up the pizza and had some cake. Later that night when she was chattering 5 miles a minute(she usually does only 1 mile/min) dad said, "What did she eat?!?!?"
We took another trip to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods yesterday. It was less crowded and more manageable. I took Donovan with me, hoping he would pick out some things he and his brothers may like. He chose some protein bars. He also was a big help in reading directions to me to get us there.
Have you been watching the new Jamie Oliver show? I am loving it. First off I really like Jamie and have always enjoyed his cooking shows. Plus I do think he is 'spot on' with his assessment of the average American diet. I know I fell into the 'lets just order out' rut. Pizza one day, wings another, hit the drive thru, and our whole family has paid for it. Now that we are watching Serenity's diet more closely I think we may all reap the benefits.
I made Jamie's classic tomato recipe last week(found at http://abc.go.com/shows/jamie-olivers-food-revolution/recipes/ThemeGallery/395764) And most of us liked it. One boy(that I won't name) still added jarred sauce to his. Boo Hiss.

No comments: